American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture
The mission of the Foundation is to build awareness, understanding, and a positive public perception of agriculture through education. To learn more about what the Foundation is doing to tell the story of agriculture and correct misconceptions about agriculture, visit www.agfoundation.org.
Today the mission of the American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture is to build awareness, understanding and a positive public perception of Agriculture through education.
The Foundation strives to be a credible source for agricultural literacy information. Our materials and programs are designed not only to reflect reliable information, but also to meet today’s standards of learning. Today the new challenge is to add the value of emotion to the science and truth so that we can recapture the attention of the public.
Today the Foundation is working on several new projects that will help to work towards our mission.
- My American Farm is an online educational game that will let students learn about agriculture while having fun.
- The White-Reinhardt Mini-Grant and Scholarship Program that helps fund state and county Farm Bureau projects that accurately tells the story of agriculture.
- Agricultural Literacy Projects. These projects include lesson plans and teacher resources to help spread agricultural literacy to students of all ages.
Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
Although we’re organized into seven distinct divisions, we’re working for a healthy environment, a healthy food supply, and healthy business practices.
- Agricultural Resource Management - John Petty, Administrator. Protects the state’s environmental resources and human health.
- Animal Health – Robert Ehlenfeldt, DVM, Administrator (also serves as State Veterinarian). Protects the health of the state’s farm animals — a multi-billion dollar industry.
- Food Safety - Steven Ingham, Ph.D., Administrator. Protects the purity of the state’s food supply, from farm gate to dinner plate.
- Agricultural Development – Mike Powers, Administrator. Promotes Wisconsin products at home and abroad and provides assistance to farmers.
- Trade and Consumer Protection – Sandy Chalmers, Administrator. Enforces consumer protection laws and has broad authority to regulate business practices.
- Management Services - Perry Brown, Administrator. Supports the department’s personnel, technology and laboratory needs.
- Office of the Secretary – Ben Brancel, Secretary. Directs the department, working closely with the Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Board and Governor’s Office.
About Alice in Dairyland
One of the most recognizable spokespersons of Wisconsin agriculture, Alice in Dairyland is a public relations professional working for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. She travels throughout the state, nation and world to promote Wisconsin products to audiences of all ages, educating the media, youth and civic groups about the many facets of the state’s agricultural industry.
Wisconsin Commodity Groups
There are many state and national farm organizations, commodity groups and others involved in the industry of agriculture. For the list of groups compiled by Wisconsin Farm Bureau, visit the following website page: wfbf.com/education-ag-resources/ag-links
America’s Heartland tells the story of farmers and ranchers across the U.S. As a T.V. show that airs on PBS and RFD-TV, you can use America’s Heartland as a educational component for any presentation or class. Visit their YouTube page to watch the episodes of America’s Heartland.
Other Educational Resources
There are many state and and national farm organizations, commodity groups and others involved in the industry of agriculture. For the list of groups compiled by Wisconsin Farm Bureau, visit the Wisconsin Farm Bureau list of Resources links.